Monday, January 5, 2009

Ornament Snob

So, I admit...I have been an ornament snob all of my life. I have wanted a tree that was decked out with matching, unbroken, perfectly crafted ornamets. Well, come on...DIDN'T EVERYONE???
This year, I am in awe at the collection of ornamants decking our tree. We have all sorts of them; some with pictures of the kids at all different ages, ornaments made by the kids at school to surprise Mom & Dad on Christmas morning, and there is one in particular that makes me tear up when I think about it. There is a picture of it below somewhere...you'll see it. ..it looks like a little turd perfectly preserved in tin foil with two pictures of Christ stuck to it...do you see it? I LOVE THIS ONE!
About 4 years ago, Eldon and I got a sitter so that we could go finish our Christmas shopping. When we arrived home the kids were excited to show us what they made for our tree. Now, you have to understand, these were the days of ornament snobbery. I wasn't thrilled to have about 12 wrinkled remnents of aluminum foil all over my tree, but I am a mom, and moms love their kids more than a silly Christmas tree, so we hung the ornaments right then and there. I secretly wanted to toss the ornaments in the trash can hoping that maybe the kids wouldn't notice, but I just couldn't. They worked so hard on them and were so proud of their project. We kept them. Year after year, we hung the foil ornaments. I was a little less embarrased by them with each passing year that they were on display.
This year, there was a change. I was so emotional when we opened up our ornament box to find the collection of handmade foil treasures. I was so excited to see them. My kids are older now, I love them to pieces, but I miss the days when they where discovering how to walk and talk. I miss their smooshy hands and the treasures they would labor so hard to make for me. I surprisingly have grown to discover that I am no longer an ornament snob. As the holidays have passed and it is now time to put the Christmas decorations away until next year, I can honestly say that my favorite ornament is the one hanging now on my tree that has a perfect likeness to a foil wrapped turd with two pictures of Jesus stuck to it.





















7 comments:

Annette Rose said...

That is Awesome! Its funny how much our perspective changes over time huh? I used to be the same way and this year, my favorite ornament was one Kyson made. It was on a piece of white lined paper and it said I Love My Family. He stuck a hook through it and hung it up and it hung all season and went in his ornament box. They are just so precious. I can't believe how grown up your kid are... Man, time is going too fast! Happy New Year!

Shelli said...

Great post. I remember when my kids were smaller, putting the homemade ones toward the back so my tree would look more "perfect". Now, like you my attitude has completely changed! I LOVE looking at all the ones they have made through the years, and they are all in front. It's weird when you realize that they aren't making them for you anymore because they are too old. sniff sniff

Karla Cheney said...

I had to laugh when I read this post. I can really relate.

Molly said...

What a great post! I love my ornaments. I have one for each year of my life with some in the "early years" being handcrafted by me. I hang a jar lid with a picture of Blue Bonnet (yes, from the foil around a cube of butter) plastered on one side. :)

Melissa and Bryan said...

ha ha I love it! Jacob is just taking up the whole tree! That's great! The homemade ornaments from your kids are the best ornaments to have! Love the post! oh and no I don't really miss the wind! However I miss just about everything else!

Angela said...

What a sweet post!! I laughed so hard!! And yet, it was so sweet! :)

Celestia said...

You're a great story teller. You made me laugh and cry with that story. My kids are little now and you helped me appreciate those little things I should focus on instead of worrying about my perfectly decorated tree getting knocked over or one of my matching ornaments broken...what a sweet post.