Sunday, we thought would be a great time to do some baking. Our family wanted to make plenty banana bread and Peanut Butter Heath cookies so that we could spread some cheer by sharing them friends and neighbors.While everything was baking, I spent some time trying to come up with a little lesson to share with the kids for FHE. Elijah handed me a packet of stuff he was supposed to learn for Scouts. Of the topics, I could choose from there was sex, drugs, or a family crisis. (Who created these requirements, Anyway?) The family crisis sounded like the way to go, but how do you create a family crisis...? I guess my best option was to teach a lesson on drugs.
Time had passed and our treats were baked and cooled. We wrapped up our goodies and told the kids to get on their shoes - IT WAS DELIVERY TIME! (now that I look at the picture, these goodie packages look a bit sterile...some color wo
uld be nice, right?)The boys were a little occupied with some sort of chasing game. Eldon told them what all parents say "Someone is going to get hurt." They continued to run all over downstairs on our all tile floor. Jacob slipped and then there was a BIG 'ol SCREAM. No one was all that surprised, but I went over to help him get up because there seemed to be a little more 'UMPH!' to his scream than normal. When I got to him he was still on the floor. Then I saw it...Blood, lots of blood - 5 stiches worth of blood to be exact. Jacob was very brave and even managed to give the very kind doctor a big smile during the proceedure (after the numbing had taken effect of course.)
Did we learn anything that night? Hmmm, let's see...
- Don't bake for your friends when the kids are running around the house, because the treats will never get delivered. (They are still on my counter, getting crusty and hard.)
- Maybe we could add a stern "I MEAN IT" after the "Someone is going to get hurt" statement.
- Rug's may have prevented Jacob's bloody gash, but then again...rugs don't wipe clean quite as nicely as tile.
- Family crisis comes when you least expect it. (I am seriously counting this evenings events as the Crisis Lesson. Now I just have sex and drugs to go...oh,brother! GO SCOUTS-WHO-RA!)
- Now that Jacob and I will have matching scars on our chins. We have a bond only that kind of crisis can produce.
- Even when the crisis is in full swing, the patient still remembers what you say. On the way to the clinic, I tried to come up with a verbal encouragement that would help Jacob feel better. So I told him that "little boys with stiches get majorly spoiled when they get home." So the next day when Elijah wouldn't give Jacob a turn, Jacob came to me and said, "I'm the stitches boy and Elijah won't give me a turn.:o(" Well, with that kind of cuteness, you can bet he got a nice long turn...
SCHOOL'S OUT!




10 comments:
oh my!!So the topics were sex, drugs and rock-n-roll?....No wait that was family crisis......
well how about sex=NO, drugs=NO and family crisis=it wouldn't be FHE without one. ;)
Cute post, poor Jacob, sounds like he was brave. Love the topics we get to help teach our children, know they are important, but... I'm sure your cookies were delicious!!
haha! Man, that's terrible! It's so funny that little kids can't hear "your going to get hurt." Maybe he'll listen now! ;o)
This was a fun post. I helped my boys with lots of scout requirements but we never went to such lengths to fill one. Nothing like real life experience to teach a lesson on family crisis. :)
I guess they will learn one way or another. You just hope it wouldn't be that way :)
That was pretty funny! I don't get why boys can't hear the whole, "someones going to get hurt." I must say that 20 times a day, I swear. And someone always does get hurt, and its always the littler one. UGH! I've turned into my mom...
Ouch!! That looks painful Jacob! What an eventful day you had! I love being able to read your blog and picture everything that is happening at your house! It makes me feel closer to home!
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. LOL! Poor Jacob!! That looks so painful! I hope he's doing better.
I'm not sure what the water thing is, my coach in high school told me that you should be drinking half your body weight in ounces everyday. So if your 120 pounds, you should drink 60 ounces of water...yikes!
I didn't know they had a calorie plan either, I guess I should look into it!
Another awesome post, these are so fun to read. Owww Poor Jacob. I love what you said to him to make him feel better!
Post a Comment